Physical disabilities

A disabled person is defined as anyone who has a physical or mental impairment which significantly affects their ability to carry out daily activities in the long-term.

Solihull adult social care team provide care and support for anyone in the borough with a disability, including physical disabilities.

Impairments which are included as a disability include:

Disability services in Solihull

We hopes to help you live your life as independently as you can and in the best way possible.

For example, many disabled people need nothing more than 1 or 2 simple aids that would make all the difference to day-to-day activities, such as:

Disabled Facilities Grant

The purpose of a Disabled Facilities Grant is to enable adults and children to make changes (adaptations) to their home, to allow them to continue living there.

You can read more about Disabled Facilities Grants and how they can be used to enable home adaptations such as widening doors and installing ramps for wheelchair access, adapting a bathroom or bedroom or making improvements to ensure that individuals can access their garden.

An occupational therapy assessment and a financial assessment will be needed when you apply for a grant.

To find out more contact Solihull Connect Adult Social Care on 0121 704 8007.

Community Advice Hubs

Your local Community Information and Advice Hub could put you in contact with the best support and activities to help you live with your disability. The hubs also offer support to you if you are carer.

You can visit the hubs in:

The Solihull Directory may also have details of local charities, national charities working in Solihull and other organisations, providers and individuals offering interesting activities and things to do.

Disability services in the UK

There are a lot of national organisations working hard to empower people with disability and make a fairer society for everyone.

Scope is a national charity working to make the UK a better place for disabled people, with a vast range of support, information and online communities.

There are a number of other organisations providing advice and support too, as well as the latest news and hot topics which may affect you:

DisabledGo - for detailed access information to thousands of shops, restaurants, railway stations, hospitals and thousands of other venues across the UK, including Solihull and the West Midlands.

Family Fund - providing grants for disabled children.

Disability Rights - working to create a society fair for everyone.

DLF - providing impartial advice, information and training to live independently.

When things become too difficult

Solihull Council can provide care and support for people experiencing sensory loss. This includes those who are living with hearing loss and deafness.

If you are finding it very difficult to live safely at home and are concerned, you can contact the Solihull adult social care team to request an assessment.

A qualified worker will work with you, and your carer or representative if you would like, to discuss your needs and identify how to help:

The assessment process will discuss what support you need to let you live your life in the best way possible, from understanding your care and support needs to helping maintain and improve your personal wellbeing.

Daytime opportunities for people with a physical disability

There are a number of opportunities in and around Solihull for you to get out and about and involved with your local community during the day.

If you are 18 years old or older, you can take a look at the day services which are provided in leisure facilities and the community from the Day services for people with disabilities page.