If you are already a member all of these services are available to you with your library card.
If you are not a member, you can join online.
You can use this straightaway without having to collect a library card. You can get:
eBooks and eAudiobooks
Over 2000 eBook titles and over 1000 eAudiobook titles you can download for up to 3 weeks - the books automatically return after that time or you can return them once you’ve finished with them. Our suppliers are Overdrive and Borrowbox.
You can borrow up to ten eBooks and six eAudiobooks at any time, and many allow several users to have them at the same time.
The range is from crime/thrillers, historical novels and other popular fiction to classics, biographies and also some children and young adult titles.
Over 3000 eMagazine titles from Overdrive that you can borrow for up to 3 weeks, with a large range of popular UK magazines in full colour. Titles include Hello, the Radio Times and other TV listings magazines, the Economist, New Scientist, Good Housekeeping, Empire, Country Walking and many many more.
Over 7000 worldwide newspapers and magazines, including most of the UK national newspapers (excluding the Times, FT and Sun) and their Sunday equivalents.
The Birmingham Mail, Birmingham Post and Coventry Telegraph are also included, along with many magazines. All the titles are in full colour and includes all the pages such as crosswords, financial results and photos.
Newsbank Global Edition includes the Times, Sunday Times and Sun/Sun on Sunday in full colour as with PressReader and also full text archives of national and local papers for several years, including the Solihull News and Birmingham Mail.
Virtual Reference Library
Online resources we subscribe to on your behalf - these include Theory Test Pro, for learning to drive; UK Press Online for historical newspapers; the Oxford English Dictionary and the Dictionary of National Biography.
Children & Young Peoples Library Services
There is a daily activity for families every weekday at 10:15am on our Facebook pages:
- Mondays - An Author Reads - Authors reading their own books
- Tuesdays - The Tuesday Download - A book of the week, available as a free ebook or eaudiobook from Solihull Libraries. Or go to our ebook and eaudiobook page to browse the whole collection.
- Wednesdays - Storytime - A picture book story for your little ones to listen to from your very own storytellers. From 24 February this will be streamed live, so come and say hello and we will wave back.
- Thursdays - Rhymetime - A short, fun session of action rhymes and songs lead by your library staff.
- Fridays Make & Create A simple craft session to inspire you to make something with your little ones
To see these great activities view our Solihull Libraries Facebook page.
Free Resources for Home Learning
Here are some of the recommended Home Learning Help pages
- Bitesize - Free resources from the BBC for 3-18 year olds linked to the UK curriculum, there are free lessons on the iPlayer as well. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize
- Oak National Academy – the online classroom for the nation. There are lots of video lessons and resources from Early Years through to A-Levels, plus the virtual school library. Get a free ebook from their author of the week, every week https://www.thenational.academy/
- Lovemybooks - A website crammed full of creative resources including activity booklets based on great books from top authors for you to download http://www.lovemybooks.co.uk/
- NRich Maths Project - fun and fascinating maths games created by the University of Cambridge https://nrich.maths.org/
- Mathsticks - A brilliant collection of tested resources, strategies and games to help Maths Stick https://mathsticks.com/my/
- Woodlands Resources - support for the whole range of topics in the primary history curriculum http://primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/history/index.html
- National Geographic for Kids – lots of geography help here. Take a look at 17 fantastic facts about volcanoes here.
- World Geography Games - Flags, countries and capitals all covered by some fun quizzes https://world-geography-games.com/
- Wowscience – Promises the best primary science activities. There are lots of links to (mostly) free learning ideas on all areas of primary science and even coding https://wowscience.co.uk/
- STEM Learning - resources and ideas to help with Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Home Learning. Look at the STEM Learning website with inspiring videos from Dallas Campbell and Lucie Green amongst others https://www.stem.org.uk/home-learning#curriculum-linked-resources
- Duolinguo – Learn a modern foreign language at home ready for when we can travel again https://www.duolingo.com/
- Pobble – great for creative writing. Pobble offers a new picture every day to get your story started with a little bit of inspiration https://www.pobble365.com/
There are other websites you can get free eBooks:
- Project Gutenberg
- Google Books - also includes many magazines
- Internet Archive - also includes some films
- Fantastic Fiction is a great website for finding books in series and other books by authors you are interested in.
You can find helpful information about what libraries are doing nationally at Libraries Connected.
Places you can do online learning and other activities
- Open Culture
- Open University
- March Network
- Learn My Way - includes a module on video calling such as Skype and Facetime
- Make IT Click - more advanced than Learn My Way, includes Microsoft Office, Gmail, Zoom, LinkedIn and many more tips for job hunting and managing yourself