Occupational Therapy assessment

Get involved 

Would you like to help shape future adult social care services in Solihull? Register your interest today and get involved.

If you are an adult with a long term health condition, disability or illness, or have responsibilities for a child with a long term health condition or disability, our Occupational Therapy (OT) service can provide advice and explore options for rehabilitation, equipment, and adaptations to your home to enable you, or your child, to remain as independent as possible.

If you also require care, our Reablement Service may be able to provide short term and intensive support to help you live independently.

Ask for an assessment

If you want to request an Occupational Therapy assessment or if your GP or another professional wants to refer you, please complete our referral form.

Complete an OT referral

You can also:

We may need to see you in person or visit your home.

Following your assessment, an Occupational Therapist may recommend equipment, adaptations or provide advice to support your independence at home.

Major adaptations such as stair lifts or a level access shower may require a financial assessment (also known as a means test). If you are in receipt of certain benefits or in difficult financial circumstances, you may be entitled to financial support  

Smaller adaptations to your home can be provided free of charge and may typically include:

  • hand rails
  • half-steps that reduce the height of steps in and around the home
  • stair rails (or handrails or bannisters)

Read more about adapting your home, including information for Solihull Community Housing (SCH) tenants

Useful information and links

If you have difficulty understanding, remembering or using information, or have difficulty getting your point across, you may want to use an advocate. An advocate is someone who can help you be heard, represent you and support you with your assessment. 

You may also find the following organisations and websites helpful.

Age UK Solihull offers local help and support as well as general information for older people. You can ring their local advice line on 0121 704 7840.

Disabled Living Foundation is a UK charity which provides impartial information and advice about aids and adaptations using a rapid self-assessment tool

Ask Sara is available through Carers UK. Ask Sara is a self-help guide providing expert advice and information on products, aids, and equipment. There is also an online forum and helpline. If you would prefer to speak to someone you can contact Ask Sara on 0300 123 3084.