Adapting your home

If you have care and support needs, adaptations to your home can make it easier to live there independently for as long as possible. Adaptations can also help your carers to support you.

Typically, there are two types of adaptations:

  • minor
  • major

Minor adaptations

Minor adaptations can usually be provided quickly and free of charge to anyone, whether you own your own home or rent from a private landlord or housing association.

Small changes may typically include:

  • grab rails (or grab bars) that can help you balance and reduce the risk of having a fall
  • half-steps that reduce the height of steps in and around the home
  • stair rails (or handrails or bannisters) that can help you climb the stairs

To find out more about these and other minor adaptations and how to request them, please contact the Wellbeing Service at Solihull Community Housing.

Major adaptations

If your needs are more complex you may require a major adaptation to your home. There are different ways of funding adaptations depending on who owns your home.

If you own your home or are a private tenant, you can find out about Disabled Facilities Grants

If you are a Solihull Community Housing tenant, you can find more information on the SCH website.

Major adaptations may include:

  • door widening to allow easier access eg for wheelchair access
  • bathroom adaptation eg removing a bath and replacing it with a level access shower
  • stair lift or through-floor lift to help you get upstairs to your bathroom or bedroom
  • ramp for wheelchair access to your home
  • ceiling track hoist to support lifting and positioning someone eg from bed to chair/wheelchair.
  • ground floor facilities eg bedroom, shower room or safe space

To find out more about major adaptations and if you are eligible please request an Occupational Therapy assessment.

Case studies

These case studies give more examples of minor and major adaptations.