- Open the Libby app
- There will be a blue strip across the middle of the screen and on the right-hand side are the words 'Add Your Card'. Press this. This will load a sign in screen.
- Enter your library card number and then press the purple 'SIGN IN' button
- Select the eBook or eAudio book you want and press 'Borrow'. If it is on loan to another borrower, you can reserve it by pressing 'Place a hold'.
- Another screen will load with a button that says 'Borrow!'. Press this.
- The item will then download and you will be given the option to ‘Keep Browsing’ or ‘Go to Shelf’. The first will take you back to the catalogue, the second will take you to the item you have selected and downloaded. Both eBooks and eAudio books will automatically expire in 3 weeks.
- To renew or return the item, select the eBook/eAudio cover in the 'Loans' tab/screen. If you are on the main page you can access your loan page by pressing the word 'Shelf' at the bottom of the page.
- Select 'Renew Loan' or 'Return Title to Library' as appropriate.
- From this page, you can return to the catalogue by pressing the ‘Library’ button at the bottom of the page.
Please note if you have additional cards linked to the app you will need to activate the card you want to use for borrowing before choosing an item and downloading:
- Press the words '2 Library Cards', or however many you have linked to the app
- A tab will open on the right-hand side of the screen. Press the word 'Activate' next to the named card that card you want to use.
- Follow the same borrowing instructions as above
- Open OverDrive in a web browser and click the ‘Sign in’ link
- Sign in with your library card number
- Select the eBook you want and click ‘Borrow’. If it is on loan to another borrower, you can reserve it by clicking ‘Place a hold’.
- The eBook will appear on your ‘Bookshelf’. Click the option to ‘Download (EPUB eBook)’.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions
- Click on ‘File > Add to library’
- Open the eBook from your computer - this will end in ‘.acsm’
- Plug your eReader into your computer
- Drag your eBook from ‘Bookshelves > Borrowed’ in the sidebar to your eReader in the ‘Device’ menu
- The eBook will automatically expire in 3 weeks. You can renew it if no one else has reserved it, by clicking the ‘Renew’ button on the ‘Bookshelf’ page. Alternatively, return an eBook early by double clicking on the eBook you want to return, and select ‘Return Borrowed Item’.
- Go to the OverDrive website and click the ‘Sign in’ link
- Find an eBook or eAudio book through the search bar or by browsing the categories
- Select the eBook or eAudio book you want and click ‘Borrow’, and then choose ‘Download (EPUB book)/(MP3 Audiobook)’ or ‘Read (in your browser)’. If it is on loan to another borrower, you can reserve it by clicking ‘Place a hold’. If you download a ‘WMA Audiobook’, you will not be able to listen to it on your tablet or smartphone.
- If you download an eAudio book, you will need to install OverDrive Media Console. The files will be in an ODM format.
- Find the eAudio book files on your computer and open them in OverDrive Media Console
- Both eBooks and eAudio books will automatically expire in 3 weeks. You can renew it within 3 days of the expiration date if no one else has reserved it, by clicking the ‘Renew’ button on the ‘Bookshelf’ page.
- You can view books you have previously borrowed by going to the 'Bookshelf' page and clicking History. See the OverDrive History instructions page for instructions on using this feature.
In Libby you can use Tags to create your own wishlists of titles you want to read at some point, or use for bookclubs or even for study.
Use these instructions to do this. The ability to set up alerts for new titles in series or new titles by particular authors is being developed.
You can already set up alerts and see recommendations using the My Account function through the Solihull Library catalogue.
Adding other library cards
Libby allows you to add several library cards to the app. This is helpful if you share the device with another person or use another library service with Overdrive.
- Open the Libby app
- If you have previously signed into Libby with your library card, this will automatically remain signed into the app. This can be seen on the right-hand side of the screen which will show the following: '1 Library Card'
- Press the words ‘1 Library Card’
- A tab will open on the right-hand side of the screen. Before linking additional library cards, name your original card so you can distinguish between them by pressing on the card shape and pressing the words 'Change Name'. This will open a box that allows you to name the card.
- Press the button at the top that says 'Add Another Card'. This will load a sign in screen.
- Enter the library card number and press the purple 'SIGN IN' button
- On the main page this will now show '2 Library Cards'. You can repeat this process to name and link additional library cards.