Bickenhill permit scheme
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Monday 23 March that everyone should stay at home to save lives, we have closed Bickenhill Household Waste Recycling Centre with immediate effect.
Bickenhill Household Waste Recycling Centre will be closed from Tuesday 24 March onwards, for an indefinite period. Visiting the household waste recycling centre is not included in the reasons for leaving home.
All households should make full use of their kerbside waste collection service - we are making every effort to keep this operational for your refuse and recycling collections. Garden Waste collections are suspended until after Easter and we are asking people to keep their garden waste at home and to consider composting.
Before your visit please read our:
We operate a permit scheme for commercial type vehicle users accessing the site.
The waste you wish to dispose of must be from your own Solihull address.
The scheme allows a maximum of 12 visits to the site in any 12 month period from the date of issue.
Only one permit will be issued per household in the 12 month period. Only one permit per vehicle will be issued.
For those who hold a permit, access hours for the site are as follows:
- Monday to Saturday 10.00am to 2.00pm (no access will be allowed on Sundays or bank holidays or at any other times)
- From 1 April 2020 Tuesday 10.00am till the site closes (this is dependent on summer/winter times) Last entrance is 15 minutes before the site closes, to allow time to unload
A permit is only valid for the person and the vehicle which it’s registered to. If the driver is a different person to that named on the permit, the permit holder must be present when using the site. We may request the permit holder provides proof of identity.
We reserve the right to inspect the contents of any vehicle before it is deposited on site. If it is suspected that the vehicle contains waste from a commercial activity or source - the vehicle may be turned away without tipping and details passed onto the relevant enforcement agencies.
Vehicles requiring a permit
- a car with a small trailer in between 6ft (1.83m) and 9ft 6in (2.9m) in length including the tow bar
- a van (cannot be towing a trailer)
- single cab, double cab and king cab pick ups (cannot be towing a trailer)
- any vehicle with 8 seats or more eg mini bus (cannot be towing a trailer)
- 4 x 4 vehicles without rear side windows (cannot be towing a trailer)
- 4 x 4 vehicles with rear side windows towing a trailer
- From 1 April 2020 campervans and campervan conversions
Not accepted on the site
- any trailer over 2.9 meters (9ft 6in) including the tow bar
- any vehicle in excess of the weight restriction (3.5 tonnes)
- any vehicle in excess of the height restriction (6ft 9in or 2.05m)
- long wheel based vans, double or twin axle vans
- vans towing a trailer
- single cab, double cab, king cab pick ups towing a trailer
- 4 x 4 vehicle without rear side windows towing a trailer
- any vehicle with 8 seats or more towing a trailer
Apply for permit
Please telephone 0121 704 8000, we will ask for your vehicle registration. Permits are issued by post, please leave up to 10 working days to receive the permit.
If you are hiring a vehicle to dispose of your waste you will need to book a visit to access the site. You can book up to 6 different dates within a 12 month period for a hire vehicle to use the household waste recycling centre.
Bookings need to be made before 12.00 noon on the working day before you intend to visit the site. Each single booking allows up to 2 visits on the booked date.
You will need to bring along your reference number, hire documents and proof of residency when visiting the site. This could include driving licence, council tax bill, utility bill or bank statements.
The hire vehicle will be subject to the same site conditions as any other commercial type vehicle, please ensure that the hire vehicle meets these requirements before booking.
Bookings can be made by telephoning 0121 704 8000.
Cancellations need to be made 24 hours in advance, please telephone 0121 704 8000 if you wish to cancel your booking.
Commercial waste is any waste or recyclable material resulting from business based activities, where a payment is made for services rendered. This would include grass cuttings from garden services, for example.
We do not provide a commercial waste collection service nor can commercial waste be taken to Bickenhill Household Waste Recycling Centre to be disposed of.
If you produce commercial waste you will need to make arrangements to have the waste or recycling collected by an approved contractor. For advice about using approved contractors visit our Disposing of waste responsibly page.