Paying for care

If you are 18 or older you may have to pay for your care. The first step is to assess your needs. This is called a Care Act Assessment.

From this assessment, if you are eligible for support, we will see how much we can give you as a personal budget and if you need to financially contribute to any costs of care.

If you need to contribute towards the cost of your care, we will carry out a financial assessment

You may need to complete a form to tell us about your income, savings and investments. We can help you to complete the form over the phone or, in exceptional circumstances, a home visit can be arranged.

To find out how much you may be expected to contribute towards your care, please complete our online contribution calculator.

Advice on accessing and paying for care

Following assessment, if you are eligible for financial support, you can:

  • arrange for care yourself through a ‘Direct Payment’ or
  • ask Adult Social Care to arrange and pay for your care.

If you are not eligible for financial support (known as self-funding) you can:

  • arrange and pay for care yourself
  • ask Adult Social Care to arrange and pay for your home care (we will invoice you for the care and we may apply an admin fee which we will advise you about)

Even if you pay for your care or plan to contact a care agency or private carer, we can still offer to carry out an assessment to look at what care and support you might need and provide advice and information.

Additional advice and support can be found at:

Other forms of support may be provided free of charge:

  • an occupational therapy assessment may be helpful if you are struggling to complete daily activities or carry out caring activities
  • if you call our Solihull Connect service on 0121 704 8007 we may be able to loan you helpful equipment
  • An occupational therapy (OT) assessment or discussion with our One Front Door OT’s may lead to some adaptations to your home 

You can complete an online self-assessment for more information, or contact us:

Request support

You can also contact our Community Advice Hubs for support.