Watch the hearing sessions
The upcoming hearing sessions will be broadcast live on our Solihull Council Youtube Channel. You can also access archived recordings for previous sessions.
The Council submitted the Solihull Local Plan to the Planning Inspectorate on 13 May 2021 for independent examination.
Two Inspectors have been appointed to undertake the examination, and they are:
- Kevin Ward BA (Hons) MRTPI
- K Ford MSc MRTPI
The Council has appointed a Programme Officer to assist the Inspectors in carrying out their examination, and she will be the contact for the Inspectors. The Programme Officer’s details are as follows:
- Kelly Akins
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 07385468923
- Post: Kelly Akins, Programme Manager, SMBC Offices, The Bluebell Centre, West Mall, Chelmsley Wood, B37 5TN
All documents associated with the examination, including those submitted alongside the plan can be found in our online examination library.
You can view a referenced schedule of documents that can be found in the library. This schedule will be updated as further documents are received.
This page will be updated as the examination progresses with the latest update towards the top of the page.
Early stages undertaken in connection with preparation of the plan can be found under the Local Plan Review pages on the web site which can be found here.
Updates for The Examination
7 Sept 2022
The Inspectors’ post hearings letter to the council has been received and added to the examination library under document ref INS007.
1 July 2022
An agenda has been issued for the additional matter 12 session being held on Friday 8 July 2022.
23 June 2022
In response to the Inspectors invitation (set out in document INS006) written comments have been submitted and added to the examination library, they can be found under the Matter 12 heading and are documents referenced M012-039 onwards.
1 June 2022
The Inspectors have issued a note regarding an additional hearing session to take place on Friday 8 July 2022. The note can be found in the examination library under the heading “Documents issued by Inspectors” ref INS006.
26 April 2022
The council has produced a number of documents in response to the Inspectors letter from 11 February, these can be found in the examination library under the heading “Documents issued by the council”, references SMBC013-SMBC020. The Inspectors will be giving consideration to these documents before determining the next steps for the examination.
24 March 2022
Documents recently added to the examination library: Letter from the council 18th February – Doc ref SMBC010 and Extending the plan period – Doc ref SMBC011.
17 February 2022
The Inspectors letter to the council following the hearings has been added to the examination library under document ref INS005.
1 February 2022
An agenda has been issued for the session being held on Thursday 3 February 2022.
28 January 2022
An up to date hearings timetable has been issued today to include a session to be held on Thursday 3 February 2022 at 10.00am.
11 January 2022
Inspectors have issued agendas for the following sessions which will be held virtually:
6 January 2022
An up to date hearings timetable has been issued today which includes new dates for the previously postponed sessions relating to Matters 8 and 13. All of Januarys sessions will now take place virtually.
An updated Housing Trajectory and Five Year Land supply document from the council has been added to the examination library under heading Documents arising from the hearings, doc ref HD046.
8 December 2021
A number of new documents have been added to the examination library, including all comments made in relation to documents HD006 and HD012. There are also 3 new Statements of Common Ground which can be found under the relevant heading.
An up to date hearings timetable has also been issued today.
1 December 2021
Due to unforeseen circumstances the hearing session on Tuesday 7 December 2021 covering Matters 8 and 13 has had to be postponed. Further updates will follow once a new date has been agreed.
29 November 2021
An up to date hearings timetable has been issued today which includes the lists of accepted participants for the upcoming sessions for Matters 7-13.
25 November 2021
24 November 2021
- Inspectors have issued an agenda for Matter 7
- A number of Statements of Common Ground (SoCG) have recently been added to the Examination Library. They can be found under Document Type “Statements of Common Ground” and a draft SoCG added under “Matter 6G – Housing Site allocations – Knowle”.
- A letter from Homes England to SMBC has been added to the examination library under document ref HD012. Participants for the Matter 6G sessions are being given the opportunity to submit brief comments about this document. This must be done in writing via the Programme Officer by 5pm on 3 December 2021.
17 November 2021
The session for Matter 6H, due to take place on Thursday 18 November 2021, will now take place this afternoon. The session will begin at 1:00pm and can be observed on the councils YouTube Channel.
15 November 2021
11 November 2021
- The inspectors have issued an agenda for Matters 6F.
- The NEC new Draft Masterplan has been added to the Examination Library.
- The most up to date hearings timetable including participants has also been published today.
10 November 2021
The inspectors have issued an agenda for Matter 6E which is due to take place at the councils chamber on Tuesday 16 November 2021.
9 November 2021
A revised hearings timetable has been issued today with some amendments to scheduled sessions in December, the timetable includes accepted participants for all remaining sessions.
There has been an additional session added due to take place in January 2022, this will allow for the previous Matter 3 participants to discuss issues relating to the councils recently issued note on the housing implications of growth at UK Central (document reference HD006).
Matter 3 participants have also been given the opportunity to comment on the note (document ref HD006). This should be done in writing and sent to the Programme Officer by 5pm 30 November 2021.
3 November 2021
The Inspectors have issued agendas for Matters 6A, 6B, 6C and 6D
25 October 2021
An up to date hearings timetable has been issued today which includes the lists of accepted participants for the upcoming sessions for Matters 6A-6H.
30 September 2021
- The Inspectors have issued the agenda for Matter 5. Agenda for Matter 5 session starting at 2.00pm on Thursday 7 October 2021.
- The most up to date hearings timetable has been issued today.
- The Inspectors have agreed to extend the deadline for the submission of statements relating to Matters 7 to 13 to 5.00pm on Friday 29 October 2021. The deadline for the submission of statements for Matters 6A to 6H remains 5.00pm on Friday 15 October 2021.
27 September 2021
The Inspectors have issued agendas for Matters 3 and 4.
- Agenda for Matter 3 session starting on Tuesday 5 October 2021
- Agenda for Matter 4 session taking place on Thursday 7 October 2021.
24 September 2021
The upcoming hearing sessions will be broadcast live via our Solihull Council Youtube Channel.
22 September 2021
The Inspectors have issued agendas for the first 2 hearing sessions.
- Agenda for Matter 1 session taking place on Monday 27 September 2021
- Agenda for Matter 2 session taking place on Tuesday 28 September 2021.
20 September 2021
The Inspectors’ have issued an updated hearings timetable which now includes the list of accepted participants for the upcoming sessions for Matters 1-5.
2 August 2021
The Council has issued a revised schedule of omitted/alternative sites to the Inspectors.
16 July 2021
The Council submitted its responses to the information/clarification requests made by the Inspectors in their initial letter to the Council dated 24 June 2021.
24 June 2021
Inspectors' initial letter to the council has been issued.
26 May 2021
Inspectors were appointed to undertake the independent examination.
You can view the privacy notices for:
Where hearings are taking place virtually reference should also be made to Solihull Council’s Protocol for Webcasting of Meetings. The protocol contains information on how personal data may be used, recorded and stored.