Paying for and arranging your own care

If you are 18 or older you may have to pay for your care. This is also known as being a self-funder.

Paying for your care will depend on:

  • your income and savings
  • if you own your own home
  • if you live with someone else
  • if you have nursing care

The amount you pay will depend on the support you get. It will depend on whether you get support in your own home, are living in a residential home or in a nursing home.

You will have to pay the full cost of your care if:

  • you have savings worth more than £23,250
  • you own your own property (this only applies if you're moving into a care home and no one else lives at home)

You can ask for a financial assessment (means test) to check if you qualify for any help with costs.

Advice on accessing and paying for care

You can:

  • arrange and pay for care yourself without involving the council
  • ask Solihull Council to arrange and pay for your care (we'll then invoice you, an arrangement fee may apply)

Even if you will pay the full cost of your care, we can carry out a Care Act assessment to look at what care and support you might need. For example, the assessment will help you to: 

  • explore what you can do
  • understand what support you already have
  • learn what support you may benefit from
  • fin out what support may be available in your local community.

The needs assessment is free and anyone can ask for one. Even if you're intending to make arrangements yourself with a care agency or private carer, it's still a good idea to have a assessment as it will help you to explain to the agency or carer what kind of support you would like.

You can complete an online self-assessment for more information, or contact us:

You can also contact The Solihull Community Advice Hubs for support. The Advice Hubs are based in Solihull and Chelmsley Wood Libraries and are the first point of contact for information, advice and support in Solihull for residents of all ages, and their carers:

How much will care cost?

A typical hourly rate for a carer to come to your home is around £22.88 in Solihull.

The NHS provides advice about how to arrange home care.

Care home costs can vary, but weekly costs can start from approximately £600. The price will vary according to where you live and the type of care you need. For example, health problems including dementia can increase the cost.

There are 2 types of care home:

  • residential homes that provide accommodation and personal care, such as help with; washing, dressing, taking medication and going to the toilet- some care homes also offer activities such as day trips
  • nursing homes that also provide personal care, but there will always be one or more qualified Nurses on duty to provide nursing care

We can help you choose a care home that's right for you.

There's also sheltered housing and extra care housing available in Solihull. Costs for these vary and you would need to contact individual accommodation providers for more information.

Benefits can help with care costs

You may be eligible for benefits, for example, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which aren't means-tested.

You can use them to pay towards the cost of your care.

Will I have to sell my home?

We won’t count your home within your assessment if you:

  • receive care and support at home
  • go into a care home on a short-term or temporary basis

If you plan to move into a care home permanently, we won’t count your home if it's still occupied by:

  • your partner or former partner, unless they are estranged from you
  • your estranged or divorced partner if they are also a lone parent
  • a relative who is aged 60 or over
  • a relative who is disabled
  • a child of yours aged under 18

If your property is going to be included in the permanent care home means test, we must ignore it for the first 12 weeks of your care unless you have already self-funded your placement for more than 12 weeks. This is to give you space to decide what to do with your property and paying fees, for example whether to enter into a deferred payment agreement.  

Some people consider giving their property to someone else, such as a child or relative, so that it won’t be counted in the means test. However, this may count as deprivation of assets, meaning you’d still have to pay the same level of care fees as if you still owned your home. 

Renting out your home

You can rent out your home and use the income to help pay your care home fees.

Deferred payments

A deferred payment scheme can be useful if you have savings less than £23,250 and all your money is tied up in your property.

Under this scheme Solihull Council pays for your care home fees and it is repaid later when you choose to sell your home, or after your death.

Get expert financial help

You can get unbiased expert advice from a specialist care fees adviser.

They'll help you compare all your options before you decide what's right for you.

Find a specialist care fees adviser in your area with:

Telephone help

If your savings run out

If your savings fall below £23,250, Solihull Council might be able to help with the cost of care.

You should contact us about 3 months before you think your savings will drop to below £23,250 and ask us assess or reassess your care needs and your finances.

If the amount you have been paying for your care exceeds the amount we can reasonably pay, then a top-up fee may be required if you wish to remain in the care home of your choice.

If you are buying care at home that exceeds the amount the council can reasonably pay, you may need to change care agencies. Your individual circumstances will be assessed at the time. You may also want to consider a direct payment.

We are only able to provide funding from the date you contact us. You won't be reimbursed if your savings are less than £23,250 before you contact us.

Support you can access for free

You might be able to get some free help regardless of your income or if you're paying for your care.

This can include:

The NHS provides more information about care and support you can get for free

Support for carers of people who are self-funding their care

If you are caring for someone who is self-funding their care, you are still entitled to an assessment of your own needs, and may be entitled to funding for support in your own right.

Read more about support for carers.